Date:      Thu, 30 Sep 1999 13:08:05 +0800
From:      Trent Nelson <tpnelson@echidna.stu.cowan.edu.au>
To:        FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Vinum/SoftUpdates query.

Hi,

	I was planning on sending this to FreeBSD-newbies@, but due to the
nature of the question, decided against it and sent it here.

	I currently have a 3.2GB Quantum HDD as my primary master, and an 8.4GB
Quantum HDD as my primary slave. What I want to do is create an exact
image of the 3.2GB drive as a partition on the 8.4GB drive, and
basically set up vinum using this array of two 3.2GB drives/partitions.

	1.) Is this possible? The 8.4GB HDD is about two years newer than the
3.2GB HDD which leads me to the understanding that there'd be obvious
access time discrepancies. The main thing I'm interested in is the fact
I won't have two 3.2GB HDDs, I'll have one 3.2GB HDD, and another drive
with a 3.2GB partition on it.

	2.) If it is possible, would the performance gain be worth the effort
to get it working? Note, I'm more interested in the experience I'd get
out of it rather than huge performance gains.

	3.) Is it possible to get SoftUpdates working with vinum? Has anyone
tried this?

	Thanks in advance.

	Regards,

		Trent.