Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2007 18:04:57 -0500
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Roman Kurakin <rik@inse.ru>
Cc:        rik@FreeBSD.org, ports@freebsd.org, pav@FreeBSD.org, bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: ports/102499: lftp asc file checksum mismatch

--Q68bSM7Ycu6FN28Q

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 01:48:02AM +0300, Roman Kurakin wrote:

> >that lftp gets a corrupted distfile when fetching through a squid
> >proxy.  This is because in the default configuration squid fetches all
> >plain text files in ftp ascii mode, which does CR/LF translation and
> >botches up the checksum.
> > =20
> IIRC this is not a bug and squid do not translate in all cases
> Any way the file is marked as a text and any such translation
> do not look like a violation. I guess it was done for
> convenience of M$ users.

"Bug" in the sense of broken behaviour.  IMO it is broken behaviour
for squid to force a non-default translation policy on the client.  If
a FTP client really wants a non-default translation mode the protocol
allows them to specify it.

> IIRC it is impossible to switch this
> off in squid (this is the only thing they was wrong).

It can be corrected by editing squid's mime.conf.

> My point of view that we should not blame the squid, this wouldn't
> help. Now I know that there is such problem, you know, a couple
> of peoples who will read this. But for the rest the project would
> look in the bad way. More over not all peoples can control which
> proxy in front of them even if they know about this problem. My
> idea was to tech a fetch to request a binary mode for all files
> despite of their mime type.

This may not be hard to do, can you look into it?

The other option would be for the squid port to install a fixed
mime.conf.

Kris

--Q68bSM7Ycu6FN28Q

--Q68bSM7Ycu6FN28Q--