Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 2009 22:23:50 +0100
From:      icemaca <icemaca@gmail.com>
To:        Michal Varga <varga.michal@gmail.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, llc2w@virginia.edu
Subject:   Re: vlc & mplayer lost window borders and controls

Michal Varga wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 8:20 PM, icemaca <icemaca@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> back to the drawing board then. still baffled why mplayer too
>>

> Dunno if this is your case, but you may be confused by the way mplayer
> GUI is launched. Normally, "mplayer" runs a GUI-less version of
> mplayer, and as you have been using gnome/menu/icons before, you may
> not be aware of this, my guess. GTK version of mplayer is launched via
> "gmplayer" (that's pretty much the one that your icons were using).
> Well, and since the recent xorg upgrade, that one stopped working, at
> least for me:

yes you're right.

going on the reply from L Campbell, i tried man mplayer and found it
actually has one (duh) and
mentions gmplayer as the gui version. however, the gnome menu is
pointing correctly to gmplayer.

from terminal *mplayer* works fine, (apart not having gui controls), but
*gmplayer is actually failing with this

    # gmplayer
    MPlayer 1.0rc2-4.2.1 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
    CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ (Family: 15,
    Model: 35, Stepping: 2)
    Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
    [ws] Error in display.
    [ws]  Error code: 10 ( BadAccess (attempt to access private resource
    denied) )
    [ws]  Request code: 145
    [ws]  Minor code: 1
    [ws]  Modules: (NULL)
    #

i;ve tried a couple of rebiuilds without some of the config options but
still. beats me.