Date:      Thu, 06 Oct 2005 16:47:46 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@flat.berklix.net>
To:        Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy@optushome.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new FreeBSD-webpage

Peter Jeremy wrote:
> It's definitely a totally different look.  At this stage, I'd say
> that I prefer the old site

Me Too. New one is dead boring, not colourful, & much boring real
estate given on the prime left column to the mega yawn of "New
commiter" "New commiter" "New commiter" Really boring that, except
to insiders. Front page should list reasons to stay & click further,
not be so boring & drab people on lunch break type http:/greenpeace.org
instead for something interesting to read.

>  - but that's a very personal opinion and
> is at least partially based on familiarity.  I'm disappointed that
> the daemon has gone from the top banner.
>
> I'd suggest that the most important feature that is missing is a
> website map.  The website looks nothing like it used to and many of my
> commonly referenced links are no longer on the home page.  Finding my
> way around is going to be very time consuming until I learn my way
> around it.

Unfortunate if many of us would need to relearn a new structure &
edit our own pages (which many won't get round to) to point different
places just for the same old data in a reshuffled new struct.
A pity that mass waste of time wasn't latched discussed & avoided by
freebsd-www@freebsd.org, where web design is supposed to be discussed.

> browser.  On the downside, I notice it now uses cookies.

Cookie Filth !? Beyond Mailman/ list subs ? On principle lots of
BSD die hards run cookies java flash & other crap turned Off.

--
Julian Stacey.  Consultant Unix Net & Sys. Eng., Munich.  http://berklix.com
Mail Ascii not HTML.          Ihr Rauch = meine allergischen Kopfschmerzen.