Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 1999 12:18:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
To:        Dom.Mitchell@palmerharvey.co.uk
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: zone: entry in free

> I realise that will stop the panic from looking at the source code, but
> surely it's just covering up the problem and waiting for it to happen
> later?

I'm pretty it's caused by the INVARIANTS option, similar incidents have been
reported many times before. The problem with INVARIANTS is that 1. it alters
data structures, 2. kernel modules don't know about this option, so you
have inconsistent kernel and modules. There're three solutions,

1, make INVARIANTS less intrusive. So far only vm_zone code is causing
problems, I suggest we rename the option to INVARIANTS_ZONE in this part
of code (the code should be pretty much bug free by now).

2, compile modules with the option. The easiest way is probably add
-DINVARIANTS in your /etc/make.conf, you have to remember to take it
out when you remove the option from your config file.

3, do not use INVARIANTS if you don't need it. :)

-lq