Date:      Sat, 02 Feb 2002 05:55:51 -0600
From:      Bob <BobGiesen@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Creative SB PCI silent

Bob wrote:

> >    I'm trying to set up my system to play sounds through my Creative
> > SB PCI512.
> >  I don't know much about sound cards, so I've followed some
> > instructions I found
> >  in the handbook and on the web.
> >    I've compiled a new kernel with device pcm:
> > device          pci
> > device          pcm
> >    The kernel now finds the card at bootup:
> > pci0: <PCI bus> on pcib0
> > pcm0: <Creative EMU10K1> port 0xe000-0xe01f irq 5 at device 9.0 on
> > pci0
> >
> >    Per instructions, I tried the following:
> > $ cat /dev/sndstat
> > FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Feb  1 2002 02:14:09
> > Installed devices:
> > pcm0: <Creative EMU10K1> at io 0xe000 irq 5 (4p/3r/0v channels duplex)
> >
> >    Next, I ran /dev/MAKEDEV snd0 and looked for the new devices that
> > the handboo
> > k said (in section 14.4) would be created:
> > $ cd /dev
> > $ ls -l audio dsp dspW midi mixer music sequencer pss
> > ls: midi: No such file or directory
> > lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel   6 Feb  1 02:37 audio -> audio0
> > lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel   4 Feb  1 02:37 dsp -> dsp0
> > lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel   5 Feb  1 02:37 dspW -> dspW0
> > lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel   6 Feb  1 02:37 mixer -> mixer0
> > lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel   6 Feb  1 02:37 music -> music0
> > lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel   4 Feb  1 02:37 pss -> pss0
> > lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel  10 Feb  1 02:37 sequencer -> sequencer0
> >
> >    (Yes, I was up 'til the wee hours...)  The handbook listed the midi
> > device, b
> > ut mine wasn't created.  Is that because I had nothing hooked up to
> > the physical
> >  midi port on the back of the sound card when I ran MAKEDEV?
> >    The handbook recommended re-making the devices if one or more were
> > missing, s
> > o I did so.  Still, I got no midi device.
> >    Anyway, I've tried several different tools that should play audio
> > CD's, wav a
> > nd/or mp3 files, and not a peep emerges from my speakers.  (Yes,
> > they'r amplifie
> > d and turned on.)
> > .
> > .
> > .
> >    When I got ready to go online and send this message, I found that
> > my modem wa
> > s no longer "there."  (Not as far as my kernel was concerned.)  It
> > happens that
> > my new kernel 9with the pcm support) did not find the modem at
> > bootup.  The only
> >  other changes I made to the kernel config file were to comment out
> > the CPU's th
> > at I don't have:
> > #cpu            I386_CPU
> > #cpu            I486_CPU
> > #cpu            I586_CPU
> > cpu             I686_CPU
> >
> >    My sio's are still as they were when I built the kernel that saw my
> > modem:
> [...]

   Brain cramp... the modem wasn't showing up because I didn't have my
custom sio.c file in place when I build the kernel.  (I had to make an
entry for the Modem Blaster Flash 56 DI5601-1.)  I put it back and
rebuilt the kernel, which now recognizes both the modem and the sound
card.
   So, I'm now left with only the question of what is keeping my sound
card silent.