Date:      Thu, 28 Jun 2007 21:35:20 +1000
From:      Norberto Meijome <beto@octantis.com.au>
To:        Roger Gujord <roger@gujord.com>
Cc:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Different Netmasks for jails

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 12:00:05 +0200
Roger Gujord <roger@gujord.com> wrote:

> How can I have a netmask like 255.255.255.128 for one jail and a netmask
> like 255.255.255.240 for another jail without creating static aliases at
> hosts boot-time in /etc/rc.conf ?
> I would like the /etc/rc.d/jail to create the network aliases according
> to the jails respective network mask. I see that /etc/rc.d/jail sets the
> netmask to 255.255.255.255 for all network aliases.

Hi :)

I'm pretty sure this is the same FAQ as seen in questions@ / net@ wrt netmasks
of aliases. In short, if your aliased interfaces are in the *same* subnet as
your main IP (eg, the main IP's subnet includes all the aliased subnets), they
will be /32.

Norberto Meijome
Octantis Pty Ltd

"Unix is very simple, but it takes a genius to understand the simplicity."
   Dennis Ritchie

NOTICE: The contents of this email and its attachments are confidential and
intended only for the individuals or entities named above. If you have received
this message in error, please advise the sender by reply email and immediately
delete the message and any attachments without using, copying or disclosing the
contents. Thank you.