Date:      Sun, 19 Feb 2012 08:03:39 +0700
From:      Erich Dollansky <erich@alogreentechnologies.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>, Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd>
Subject:   Re: One or Four?

Hi,

On Sunday 19 February 2012 04:34:17 Jerry McAllister wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 12:07:30PM +0100, Damien Fleuriot wrote:
>

> So, Polytropon's three choice pattern is good.   Or, I could even
> suggest just two choices.

yes, three options is ok.

>      [ ] all in one + swap
>            Create one partition containing all subtrees
>            plus one swap partition.
>
>      [ ] user-defined
>            Make your own partitioning selection manually.
>            (Both number and size of partitions)
>            with a reasonable way to specify partitions and sizes.
>            The old Sysinstall way is not bad, but if it obsolete,
>            then something as easy that fits the new GPT based system.

A normal user will use the first option here and get screwed when the file system got affected by a power failure. The second option is not an option for a general user.

> But, that middle choice that Polytropon suggested is OK to include
> if you think it is needed.  /, /tmp, /usr, /var, [/home] +swap

Yes, I strong urge you to leave this at least as an option. Just with a larger / slice of 1 or better 2GB.

> I don't see that this plan adds any significant complication or confusion.
> Nor does it prevent any of the schemes people have been advocating or
> requesting.

You seem to forget normal users who just want to use the system. They do not think of recovery until it actually happens.

Erich