Date:      Sat, 28 Apr 2001 17:22:04 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Thomas Widlundh <tw@ettnet.se>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: apsfilter.printing

Thomas Widlundh <tw@ettnet.se> types:
> Hi,
> I'm setting up a fBSD system, and I've managed to make the printer to
> print with lpr xxx.txt, with the staircase effect, though.
> I have fBSD 4-1. A HP Laserjet 4L.
> Then I installed gs 6.01, apsfilter 5.4.2.
> After configuration of the apsfilter, it prints but....
> It takes quite a while before the printing is executed.
> The staircase effect is still there.

If you're using the "lpr" command and getting a staircase effect, then
the output isn't being sent through apsfilter. apsfilter doesn't ever
send text to the printer - it sends it to a2ps, then to ghostscript to
render as an image, and that image gets sent to your printer.

> The printers memory is receiving the doc, but it seems that an EOF or
> someting is missing, so the printer never starts to execute the
> printing, the LED is just blinking, so I have to start printing
> manually on the printer.

That also sounds like apsfilter isn't being used.

> More....
> The doc is in a4, but it seems that everything is 4 times too big, that
> is, only a 4th of the doc on each paper, and with gigant letters.

The source of this problem will depend on whether or not apsfilter is
actually being used. If apsfilter is being used, then your apsfilter
setup is using to large a font. If apsfilter isn't being used, then
your printer is configured to use a large font. Since you're getting
the staircase effect (both at once, right?), check the printer config
first.

> The lpq, and so on, are working, but I can't remove anything in the
> queue with lprm, neither as user or root. I have to erase the queue
> manually in the spool.
>
> What am I doing wrong here? Any tips?

Well, I'd suggest them magicfilter port, as it makes better use of
your printer than apsfilter. However, from the sounds of things, you
have problems outside of the filter. Check your printcap.

	<mike