Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 2014 22:01:56 +0300
From:      David Naylor <dbn@freebsd.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   MPCP Opcode Pause and unresponsive computer

--nextPart1971164.yiCTdHp6Gg

Hi,

I recently installed FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE on an headless Intense-PC.  I am
experiencing two network related issues with the computer.

First issue
-----------
When compiling lang/ruby19 the network freezes.  The build was done directly
from the command line using ssh.  After a while ssh reports "Write failed:
Broken pipe".  I attached the monitor and no messages were displayed on the
output (and the machine was still running).

The Intense-PC does not respond to pings at this point either.  Of note, I was
capable of transferring multiple GB of data and successfully compiled other
ports but compiling lang/ruby19 messes up everything.

Second issue
------------
After a period of uptime (after the freeze from building lang/ruby19) the
entire network stops working, nothing is capable of connecting or
communicating on the network.  When I do a tcpdump (from a different, affected
computer) I find the following:

20:57:58.254626 MPCP, Opcode Pause, length 46

These messages get repeated a few times a second.  The moment I disconnect the
Intense-PC from the network functionality is restored (and is clearly
illustrated by the tcpdump).

Information
-----------
# uname -a
FreeBSD dragonbsd 10.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE #0 d44ce30(releng/10.0):
Sun Feb  9 20:11:55 SAST 2014
root@dragon.dg:/tmp/home/freebsd/10.0/src/sys/MODULAR  amd64

# ifconfig
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
        options=600003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
        inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
        inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
        nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
em0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=4219b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,WOL_MAGIC,VLAN_HWTSO>
        ether XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
        inet 192.168.0.160 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
        nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
        status: active
re0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=8209b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_MAGIC,LINKSTATE>
        ether XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
        nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
        media: Ethernet autoselect (none)
        status: no carrier

Any assistance to resolve this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

P.S. Please keep me CC'ed, I'm not subscribed on the list.