Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 14:58:08 -0500
From:      Alan Edmonds <alan.edmonds@sterling.com>
To:        Jim King <king@sstar.com>
Cc:        Ed Watkeys <edw@poseur.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cdrecord problems to record 1 CD

I just burned the image with Adaptec CD Deluxe on a Win98 system.  It
booted fine on an ATAPI CD drive (system has no SCSI devices or
controllers).

Cheers,
Alan

Jim King wrote:

> At 08:59 AM 9/29/1999 -0400, Ed Watkeys wrote:
> >On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> >
> > > All bootable Walnut Creek CDROM FreeBSD CDs use the El Torrito boot
> > > hack to accomplish their purpose.  It's the -b flag to mkisofs.
> >
> > > Yes.  However, it seems to have problems with ATAPI CDROM drives
> > > (where it works fine with SCSI) and we're still scratching our heads
> > > over that one.  What works for one should work for both, but no.  It
> > > would be a lot easier to debug if it just plain didn't work for
> > > *anyone*, you know? :)
> >
> >Well, to make this a bit more depressing, I burned the ISO image using
> >Adaptec's "Easy CD Creator" on an NT machine around here, and I got
> >exactly the same behavior -- fine image, no booting. (Same ATAPI CD-RW
> >drive.)
> >
> >Which makes me begin to wonder about the image...
> >
> >Anyway, the next steps are to bring in my Philips SCSI CD-R and give
> >things a whirl. On a Mac, with Windows, and with FreeBSD.
> >
> >I'm still looking for someone who's successfully booted from this
> >image.
>
> I just burned the image on an NT box using Goldenhawk's Cdrwin.  The CD
> boots just fine on a Compaq AP400 with an ATAPI CDROM.
>
> Jim

Alan Edmonds, KB5ZUY               Sterling Software
                                   M/S 132
Phone: +1-972-801-6485             5800 Tennyson Pkwy.
Email: alan.edmonds@sterling.com   Plano, TX, USA  75024