Date:      Sun, 28 Sep 2003 14:25:22 +0200
From:      Andreas Kohn <andreas.kohn@gmx.net>
To:        Prashant Boricha <tracboricha@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Free  BSD

On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 14:16, Prashant Boricha wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to know more about FreeBSD, I m very much interested in it. But
> from what I infer it does'nt seem to be used at home. I would like to use it
> at home for connecting to the net, watching movies, playing songs, doing
> work in Office software.
>
> Please tell me if I can do so using BSD.
Hi,

you can do everything you named with FreeBSD.
Internet: Many browsers like FireBird, Mozilla, Konqueror
Watching movies: mplayer, xine
Playing songs: XMMS
Office: AbiWord, OpenOffice, KOffice, ...

These and more programs are available through the FreeBSD ports
collection, which is installed during the setup.

More information can be found in the handbook
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html
for example sections 15 and 16.

Regards,
--