Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 1998 15:01:34 -0500
From:      Omar Thameen <omar@clifford.inch.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   getting oriented with RAID

Hi,

With DPT's single channel RAID controllers being priced at under $800
retail, we're looking into adding it to several of our systems.

I've been reading in the archives and on Simon's website
http://simon-shapiro.org), but there are some basic things I'm still
not clear on that I'm hoping y'all could explain.

1) From the DPT website, their PM2044UR (single channel PCI) RAID
controller supports RAID 0, 1, 5, 0+1, and 0+5.  Does this necessarily
mean that the FreeBSD driver written by Simon can also do all of
the above?  Something I read in the archives indicated that you
need do use ccd for RAID0.

2) Do the FreeBSD drivers support the PM2044UR card, or do you have
to use the higher-end, multi-channel product?

3) Given that you want redundancy and optimal performance, can you
increase performance by running RAID0+1, or is it better to just run
RAID1?

Thanks,
Omar