Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 2013 21:05:10 +1030
From:      Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@ShaneWare.Biz>
To:        Arnaud Houdelette <arnaud.houdelette@tzim.net>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Continuous timeout messages from 10.0 alpha4

On 30/10/2013 20:01, Arnaud Houdelette wrote:
> Might be unrelated, but I just installed 10-BETA2, and got similar
> timeout messages...
>
> Turns out that smartmontools was compiled with wrong kernel headers...
>
> Maybe you've got a similar tool which need rebuilding ?
>
> Arnaud
> On 07/10/2013 15:11, Shane Ambler wrote:
>> This is a regression between alpha2 and alpha4. I first setup a disk to
>> boot 10 just after alpha2 was tagged. A few days ago I updated to
>> alpha4 and started getting timeout messages, I have just built alpha5
>> r256098 and still get them.

I got the following response from freebsd-current list --

> Rebuilding sysutils/hal should fix this problem. It's been reported several
> times in the past week or two, and rebuilding this port fixed it for me
> when I ran into it.

For me rebuilding sysutils/hal also solved the problem. If smartmontools
has the same issue then there may be a common denominator with tools
that want to talk to devices.

I didn't see this repeated going from ALPHA5 to BETA2

So the issue presents itself if you for example install 10.0-ALPHA2 then
install ports and update the system to 10.0-BETA2. I expect the same
thing may happen if you install 10.0-BETA over an older system with
ports already installed.