Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2003 21:51:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      <dan@spot.org>
To:        <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Perl Module Version Check List

Hello All,

Recently I have started messing in the world of Perl. Within the ports
collection, there is roughly 750 perl modules. At times I have installed
versions that are outdated, and it has caused problems for various scripts
I am writing. So I decided to write a script that checks the version of
the perl module in ports compared to the version CPAN has. It isn't
horrible, and there is a legitimate reason for many ports to be
out-of-date against CPAN, however, just over 23% of the modules in ports
are out-dated.

The list is updated nightly after a fresh cvsup of ports. The list is
located at:

http://www.FreeBSDsecurity.com/ports/

At the moment, the list takes a good 15 seconds to load, as I have some
issues to deal with in how I store the information and load it.

The list can be viewed at the moment either in its entirety or broken down
just displaying ports which are outdated, ports which are undefined on
CPAN, ports which are newer than what CPAN has for whatever reason, or
ports which are the same version as what is listed on CPAN.

If you have any comments, compliments, complaints, questions, etc. please
feel free to contact me. I am not on the ports mailing list, as I would
never take the time to read all of the e-mail, so please cc any response
to me.

Thanks,
Daniel B. Hemmerich