Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 18:48:13 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        ami_kes@prodigy.com ( J A MIKES)
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compu-illiterate

> I am a retired polymer scientist very active in philosophical
> discussion-lists on the internet. Am looking for an inexpensive
> server where I could establish my web-site - with getting into the
> internet without hefty fees. I don't understand most of the FreeBSD

First, this is unfortunately the wrong mailing list.  We deal with
questions over in freebsd-questions, not freebsd-doc (which is where
the documentation project people discuss their ongoing work).

Second, it really sounds to me like you want someone to host your
mailing lists for money (or barter), not to run your own server.  I'm
sure we're both intelligent people within our own respective
disciplines, but if the engine in my car explodes then I take it to a
mechanic, I don't spend 3 years learning about combustion engine
design and outfitting a small auto repair shop in my garage so that I
can finally do the work and I daresay you wouldn't either.

Similarly, a Unix server of any sort isn't going to be something for a
retired polymer scientist to just pick up and be managing an active
mailing list with in a couple of weeks.  You might just squeak by with
a more pointy-clicky solution like Windows NT, but frankly that's not
even a sure bet since there are some chasms which even Microsoft can't
bridge with an order of complexity less than n (where n is beyond the
grasp of most computer-illiterati).

To put it another way, to do what you want to do will involve either
paying somebody some money to do it for you or deciding to make a
serious comittment to learning auto repair as a hobby.  Simplifying it
is not an available third option.

- Jordan