Date:      Mon, 30 Nov 1998 16:49:30 +0000
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Hauppauge EEPROM contents

Just though I should post this for the archive before I loose it.

Here is my list of the Hauppauge EEPROM contents which I built up
for the FreeBSD bt848 driver.

If you want further details, I can provide about 20 EEPROM contents
dumps from different USA and European cards.
I also have email contacts inside Hauppauge who can supply info when we
require it.
Special thanks to Steve Passe, Amancio Hasty and Randall Hopper and all
the others who send in EEPROM contents to me or to the FreeBSD
multimedia list.

There are 5 datablocks, each can vary in size.

Block 1
=======
This is of the format
84 11 00 00 04 followed by 15 bytes
or
84 12 00 00 05 followed by 16 bytes

In this block,
byte 6 is the chipset type (see below)
byte 9 is the tuner type (see below)
byte 11 and 12 are the model number
I'm sure byte 13 is the revision but I cannot decode it.

There is also a byte which reports the ability to get Radio but I've
forgotten it.

Block 2
=======
84 0a 00 01 01 20 77 00 40
This seems to be common for all cards

Block 3
=======
84 then 3 bytes
Bytes 1,2 and 3 are the serial number

Block 4
=======
This varies if you have No Stereo decoder, TDA decoder or MSP decoder
Within this block, byte 3 tells us the stereo decoder chip type (or no
stereo decoder)

If byte 3 is 00 == No stereo decoder chip. The block is 5 bytes. EG.
74 02 01 00 03

If byte 3 indicates a MSP chip, the block is 5 bytes, EG
74 02 01 06 02

If byte 3 indicates a TDA chip, the block is 8 bytes, EG
77 02 01 03 03 43 17 12
byte 5, 6 and 7 are used in programming the TDA (the TDA dbx alignment
bytes).
Each TDA chip needs different values found during card calibration at
Hauppage.

Block 5
=======
This is
79 followed by a one byte checksum

Free Space
==========
the remainer of the eeprom is either filled with 00 or with ff.

Missing Info
------------
I cannot work out the bits which tell me
a) presence of SVIDEO
b) presence of Teletext decoder

The decode table you need for the chip type, tuner type and steroe chip
are
Chipset byte
0  Reserved
1  BT815
2  BT817
3  BT819
4  BT815A
5  BT817A
6  BT819A
7  BT827
8  BT829
9  BT848
a  BT848A
b  BT849A
c  BT829A
d  BT827A
e  BT878
f  BT879
10 BT880

BUT only 0x09 and 0x0e have been used.

Tuner Byte
       1 External
       2 Unspecified
       3 Phillips FI1216
       4 Phillips FI1216MF
       5 Phillips FI1236
       6 Phillips FI1246
       7 Phillips FI1256
       8 Phillips FI1216 MK2
       9 Phillips FI1216MF MK2
       a Phillips FI1236 MK2
       b Phillips FI1246 MK2
       c Phillips FI1256 MK2
       d Temic 4032FY5
       e Temic 4002FH5
       f Temic 4062FY5
       10 Phillips FR1216 MK2
       11 Phillips FR1216MF MK2
       12 Phillips FR1236 MK2
       13 Phillips FR1246 MK2
       14 Phillips FR1256 MK2
       15 Phillips FM1216
       16 Phillips FM1216MF
       17 Phillips FM1236
       18 Temic ???

Stereo Decoder byte
0 None
1 TEA6300
2 TEA6320
3 TDA9850
4 MSP3400C
5 MSP3410D
6 MSP3415
7 MSP3430

--
Roger Hardiman        | Telepresence Research Group
roger@cs.strath.ac.uk | DMEM, University of Strathclyde