Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 1999 22:24:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, schimken@cs.rpi.edu, crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Subject:   Re: More death to nfsiod

::This bug was tickeled by performig the folowing tasks on the NFS mounted
::directory (NFSv2/UDP from a server of the eaxact same build).
::First I did a "mkisofs112 -J -o netscape.iso .netscape" .netscape contains about 70M of data, 12209 files, and 38 directories.  I tickeled the bug before by
::using mkisofs112 to create an iso image of ie5.0 (arround 60M, 50 files, no directoreis).  None of the mkisofs's have ever finished while nfsiod is running.  That caused the symptoms, but resolved after a short time.  then I issued a
:...
:    etc.
:
:Ok, this appears to have done the trick.  At least I have not been able to
:reproduce it useing a hand-mounted path.  This raises an interesting question
:...
:partitions (us there a way to query the OS for the options from a mounted
:partition?).  Is it the periodic umount() attempts that amd makes the cause
:of these problems?
:
:As an aside we had problems with amd on SGI late last year, everything seemed
:to point to amd, yet when we hand mounted the partition with the exact same
:options we received the same error.  So I am a bit skeptical that AMD, by its
:nature, is causing this; if I/we can find the options that tickle this I think
:we will have nailed a real bug.
:
:--
:David Cross

     AMD is a rather complex piece of software.  It's creating a situation
     that the kernel isn't happy with but I really don't have time to delve
     into it ( anyone else care to take a shot at it? ) on top of everything
     else I'm doing.  If there is any way you can avoid using AMD, I would
     avoid using AMD.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>