Date:      Sun, 6 Jul 2003 23:04:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Darren Henderson <darren@nighttide.net>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Virtual Server

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Jul 2003, Darren Henderson wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 5 Jul 2003, redbrick wrote:
> >
> > > I have been browsing for web hosting and I found some firms (one of them
> > > is <http://www.hub.org>) offering 'virtual server hosting using
> > > FreeBSD'. They say that virtual server is different from virtual host,
> > > for the first is a completely separated enviroment, like a standalone
> > > server.
> >
> > Always read the small print. All of it.
> >
> > There is at least one outfit that actually tries to sell this
> > kind of thing, shared hosting using jails, as a collocated UNIX server.
>
> We don't ... we advertise it purely as a virtual server / machine ... full
> root is provided to the VM so that clients can operate it as if it was its
> own machine, but we very clearly spell it out as *virtual* ...

I wasn't refering to www.hub.org - I have no knowledge of it. Didn't mean
to imply that companies marketing virtual hosting - and stating that
it is virtual hosting - are doing anything even remotely improper.

Companies that are marketing virtual hosting and are claiming that it is
something else would make me nervous. Merely a cautionary "buyer beware",

Of course the original poster was looking for technology info - actually a
question I think I've asked in the past as well. Pity FreeBSD doesn't run
under IBM's VM - that would be interesting :)