Date:      Mon, 6 Aug 2001 05:23:00 -0600
From:      Duke Normandin <01031149@3web.net>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PID with a 'D' status - what to do?

On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 02:07:12AM -0500, Mike Meyer wrote:
> Duke Normandin <01031149@3web.net> types:
> > What is the proper way to deal with a PID having a "D" status - i.e.,
> > it's uninterruptable - so that I can 'shutdown' cleanly?
>
> D is supposed to be a short term wait. If it's waiting on something
> that's never going to happen, you might as well ignore it and shut
> down anyway. What's it waiting on?
>
> 	<mike

The pid is an attempt at mounting my CD Changer which my recent posts
outline. It never does mount. I did a 'shutdown -h now' on a couple of
these occasions only to have the system hang after the "sync message" on
exit. The subsequent boot then produced a warning that the system had not
been shutdown properly. So I was wondering if there was an "I don't care!
kill this pid" command?
--
-duke
Calgary, Alberta, Canada