Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 2002 12:20:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      bruno@tinkerbox.org
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   problems with shared libraries

I am trying to port a little program that makes use of shared libraries,
and havin some problems with that.

This is the situation:
the software is an mp3 player daemon, controllable through sockets. For
inout/output, it uses xmms plugins.

the problem happens when loading the xmms plugin shared lib.

If I do not link the program with -export-dynamic, I can load the plugin,
call the init entry point, and then call some other functions in the
plugin. However, the plugin at some point needs to call a function in my
program, and that fails. I get an error from the ld-elf saying that the
symbol is undefined. I guess this is expected since I did not link with
-export-dynamic, right ?

Well, if I do link with -export-dynamic, I can not even make the first
call to anything in the plugin, it segfaults immediately on some
g_vsprintf_XXX function (that seems to come from glib).

What is going on ? I link the program with glib and all necessary libs.

If anybody has some insight on this, please let me know...

bruno