Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2008 15:33:25 +1100 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Xn Nooby <xnooby@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Two minute pause at acpi.ko message on old HP laptop with 7.0-RC1

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Xn Nooby wrote:
 > I have an old zv5445us HP Pavillion laptop, essentially the zv5000
 > model, which pauses at the /boot/kernel/acpi.ko message during boot.
 > It hangs there, with a non-spinning ASCII character, for about 2
 > minutes - then it boots.  I tried entering the following commands in
 > to the loader.conf to no avail:
 >
 >   set hint.atkbd.0.disabled="1"
 >   set hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"
 >
 > I'm currently using FreeBSD 7.0-RC1, but it has the same behavior with
 > FreeBSD 6.3-RC2.
 >
 > The machine seems to work okay after that, though I am having other
 > problems with the screen going blank when I try to configure X.  For
 > now, I was just trying to eliminate the 2 minute pause on acpi.ko.
 >
 > Any suggestions?

Could you post the actual last couple of lines you see while it's
pausing?  And the next line or so seen after the pause?

If you select to boot verbosely then the section either side of and
including this pause in your /var/run/dmesg.boot could be helpful.

Just that it's not clear whether the 'acpi.ko message' you're seeing is
printed before, during or after loading acpi, ie perhaps that's finished
and the pause is before the next thing you see, in which case it could
be hanging on something network related, or something else altogether ..

cheers, Ian