Date:      Thu, 5 Nov 1998 14:11:57 -0600 (CST)
From:      Licia <licia@o-o.org>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Branding project names

On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, Wes Peters wrote:

> This message is the start of the thread collecting suggestions for names
> for the FreeBSD branding programs.  Please respond ONLY TO THE ADVOCACY
> mailing list, adding your suggested names.  When the responses drop off,
> I'll collect the names into a coherent list and call for a vote via the
> mailing list.
>
> Thanks for your participation.  Please don't cc me on your replies!
>
> 1)	Designed for FreeBSD
> 	Pure FreeBSD
> 	100% FreeBSD

I am personally not comfortable with any of these three. (speaking as a
programmer who is interested in 'certifying' some of her software as it's
released).  These current names seem to imply things that may not be true,
and would cause me to think twice before applying the label if my software
were designed for native release on multiple os's. Something like FreeBSD
Native, Native FreeBSD, or FreeBSD Compatible would pose fewer quandries in
the decision to certify.

> 2)	Works with FreeBSD
> 	Works in FreeBSD
> 	Works on FreeBSD
> 	FreeBSD Compatible
> 	Great with FreeBSD	(less filling! ;^)

In this category, I  prefer either FreeBSD Compatible, FreeBSD Adaptable or
Works on FreeBSD.

> --
>              Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?
>
> Wes Peters                                                      +1.801.915.2061
> Softweyr LLC                                                   wes@softweyr.com

[ licia@o-o.org ]  [ http://www.o-o.org/ ]  [ IrcNick : Licia ]
[ A happy user of FreeBSD : http://www.freebsd.org/           ]
[ Why crawl through windows when you can walk through a door? ]
[ This user boycotts all Microsoft products and services      ]