Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 2002 05:36:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Gerald T. Freymann" <freymann@scaryg.shacknet.nu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Moving a HD from ControllerA to CtrlB

I have a situation where I have a hard drive connected to a hd controller
and that controller has kicked the bucket.

I don't have a mate to swap with, but I do have a different controller
card I can use.

The problem being FreeBSD won't boot because the device names have
obviously changed.

I get to a mountroot prompt, and I can use   ufs:da0s1a

and that will give me read access to the directories only.

The old slices where:

/dev/mlxd0s1a   #/
/dev/mlxd0s1e   #/home
/dev/mlxd0s1f   #/usr
/dev/mlxd0s1g   #/var
/dev/mlxd0s1h   #/web

Would the new slices be same letters at the end, just replace mlxd0 with
da0 ?

Then, I need to get write access to root, and update /etc/fstab with the
new device names... what is the command to get read/write access?

And is it possible to simply edit fstab? or are there more files that need
to be updated....

My goal is to make this drive bootable again into FreeBSD.

Any assistance greatly appreciated!

-ger