Date:      Thu, 9 Aug 2001 18:51:37 +0100
From:      j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>, tlambert2@mindspring.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How did the MSFT monopoly start?

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 12:45:22PM -0500, David Scheidt wrote:
| On 9 Aug 2001, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
|
| :Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org> writes:
| :>                                                           [...] The
| :> address space was 32 bits - the top 8 got thrown away when you left
| :> the CPU - and it didn't have special registers for addressing, so the
| :> general registers had to be 32 bits wide and it had to have those 32
| :> bit operations.
| :
| :AFAIK, the 68k has separate data and address registers (d0-d7 and
| :a0-a7 respectively)
|
| You can use them all as general purpose registers.  There might be some
| restrictions, but I can't remember any.  It's been quite a while though.  Of
| course, an OS will place restrictions on what registers you can use.

IIRC, some math functions only operated on data registers, and some advanced
addressing modes only worked with address registers.  Other than that, you
could do whatever you wanted.

| Why does 68040 still scream "Oh, fast!" to me, and 1.4 GHz Athlon make me go
| "So?"
|
| --
| dscheidt@tumbolia.com
| Bipedalism is only a fad.

jm
--
"Investigators have discovered the cause of the TWA 800 explosion
was a frayed wire.  The wire became frayed when it was struck