Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2006 09:35:28 +1100
From:      Andrew Reilly <andrew-freebsd@areilly.bpc-users.org>
To:        JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: amd64 slower than i386 on identical AMD 64 system?

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 06:01:25AM -0300, JoaoBR wrote:
>  SMP with single dual-core processors on standard MBs are sensitive (crashing
> easily or time-outs) with non polling NICs

Just to add another data point:

My 1G RAM, AMD64-X2 box is running a mostly-SMP kernel, but with
kernel.smp.disabled="1" in boot/loader.conf (because that's the
only way to get the 4front-tech sound card driver to load;
otherwise it is unable to allocate a necessary contiguous chunk
of memory).

The on-board nForce MCP9 network adaptor has never worked
properly (time-outs and failure to detect carrier, rather than
crashes), but I was having good success with a dc (Intel 21143)
up until last weekend's cvsup/rebuild, when that stopped working too:
unable to detect carrier, which I guess is an interrupt-related
activity.  The dc0 driver is working happily, now, with
DEVICE_POLLING enabled, and configured on the interface.

--
Andrew