Date:      Tue, 31 Aug 1999 14:19:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        "Andy V. Oleynik" <andyo@prime.net.ua>, cjclark@home.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make aout-to-elf-build Failing

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, John Birrell wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 31, 1999 at 08:27:00AM -0700, Doug wrote:
> > John Birrell wrote:
> > > The solution is to fix `make'. I could commit the fix, but I'm not
> > > in a position to build -stable just now. I'm not supposed to commit
> > > without testing. The fix looks straight forward though, so "it
> > > should just work". 8-)
> >
> > 	If all it takes is a make world (as opposed to make upgrade) I can test it
> > if you'll send me the patch. I'm on 3.2-Stable as of 8/8 right now.
>
> If you've already upgraded, it's too late to test the patch because
> you won't execute the code in question.

	I had a feeling that I misunderstood you, which is why I asked for
a clarification.

> Do I really need to send you
> a patch to change one word in /usr/src/usr.bin/make/main.c?! Please take
> a few moments to have a look for "unknown" in that file. Sigh.

	"Straight forward" (sic) to you isn't necessarily so to me,
especially where issues related to make are concerned. To start with, I
wouldn't even have know where to start looking (make code, some other
code, *.mk files, make.conf...). If all it took was a simple change you
could have said so.

	Given that someone more knowledgeable than I has already stepped
forward, it looks like it will get taken care of anyway, so no sweat. If
not, I do have a scratch disk that I can run through the procedure on, and
now that I know where to look, yes, the fix is obvious enough.

Thanks for your help,

Doug
--
"My mama told me, my mama said, 'don't cry.' She said, 'you're too young a man
to have as many women you got.' I looked at my mother dear and didn't even

    - John Belushi as "Joliet" Jake Blues, "I Don't Know"