Date:      Fri, 29 Aug 1997 22:38:15 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual Log Stats - 1997/08/29

>> Grand Prix drives are admittedly bad. Especially those full-height 4.3GB
>> 100W ovens! As a vendor, we have a slang part number for the Seagate
>> Barracudas: The Seagate Boomerang. We always seem to see them again after
>> we ship them out to our customers! (usually within 2 months)
>
>This is because most customers are too stupid to mount the 'cuda
>properly.  If you read the documentation, and cool them as they
>require, they were and are one of the most reliable 7200rpm disks
>around.  They were also the first by a long shot; something worth
>bearing in mind before carping about them.

   For the record, in the Seagate category we have two Barracudas and two
hawks on wcarchive. Neither of the Barracudas have failed, but both of the
hawks have failed. Cooling is definately not a problem in our equipment -
all of the drives run cold to just slightly warm.
   As for the Quantums, all of the Grand Prixs have failed (something like
10 of them) and none of the Atlas or Atlas II have failed (I think we have
about 8 of these). We also have 5 Micropolis 9.1GB drives...one of those
has failed.
   In my experiance, drives tend to either fail within a few months after
being put into service or last 'forever'; it's rare to have a drive fail
after a year or two of operation.
   Of all of the replacement drives that we've gotten, we've had only one
of the replacements fail - a Grand Prix.

-DG

David Greenman