Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2005 18:47:35 -0600
From:      "Bryce Kahle" <bwkahle@binary.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   NFS file locking

I've been researching NFS and its file locking capabilities on FreeBSD
and I can't seem to find the answer to my question, so I thought I would
ask it here.

In this document
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-post.h
tml#NETWORK-CONFIGURATION-CONT

It mentions this:
"The next option listed here is the rpc.lockd option, which, when
selected, will provide file locking services. This is usually used with
rpc.statd to monitor what hosts are requesting locks and how frequently
they request them. While these last two options are marvelous for
debugging, they are not required for NFS servers and clients to operate
correctly."

Is rpc.lockd required for fcntl() style locking to work correctly?

Bryce Kahle <bwkahle@binary.net>
Systems Administrator - Binary Net
1-402-742-7042 http://www.binary.net/
=20