Date:      Mon, 23 Dec 2002 13:52:58 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: just aquestion

# m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk / 2002-12-23 12:00:01 +0000:
> On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 11:13:31AM +0000, osama zekry wrote:
> > hi there i am wonder ( think ) that your operating system is support a dbms
> > ( data base managment system) such as oracle 8i, sql server, informix .
> > please tell me quikly and how can i install the dbms and how can i connect
> > to it using visual basic 6

    The FreeBSD Handbook contains an article on setting up Oracle (8
    IIRC) on FreeBSD. It is somewhat outdated, and all I've noted on
    this list regarding setting up Oracle were people who have couldn't
    get the thing working according to the article. It just might not
    work anymore.

    MS SQL Server (I suppose that's what you mean by "sql server") is a
    Windows-only application, IOW it does not run on unix.

    I don't know about Informix.

    You need an ODBC driver to query any DBMS, so provided a server has
    an ODBC interface, you should be ok.

> There are several RDBMS products available and supported on FreeBSD:
> the two most popular are MySQL (http://www.mysql.com/) and PostgreSQL
> (http://www.postgresql.com/) Unlike the examples you give, you can use
> both of those packages for free.

    There's also Firebird (previously InterBase).