Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 1999 17:02:14 -0600
From:      "Bert Hiddink <Bert Hiddink" <hiddink@galileo.or.cr>
To:        Robert <robert@namodn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Name-based virtual hosting Apache 1.3 FreeBSD 2.2.8

I saw your inquiry sent to the FreeBSD forum about Name-based virtual
hosting. I am quite new on FreeBSD.

On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Robert wrote:

> Hi!

> I would like very much to host pages from my server using the

> name-based

> virtual hosting in Apache 1.3.3, on FreeBSD 2.2.6 (may upgrade to

> 2.2.8,

> suggestions? :)

> I have the vhosting part figured out, but I just need some

> verification

> before I take the actual step of registering another name.. <<gulp>

> ..

> Is it possible to have more than one domain name assigned to an IP

> address?

> I have been told that it is, and nothing to the contrary thus far.

> Therefore.

> I assume the way to do this would be to add an entry in

> named.boot , which

> now looks like this

> named.boot

> ----------

> cache           .                                named.root

> primary         namodn.com              named.namodn

> primary         0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA    localhost.rev

> ----------

> to something like this

> named.boot.correct?

> ----------

> cache           .                                     named.root

> primary         namodn.com                   named.namodn

> primary         0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA   localhost.rev

> primary 	      customer.com	                named.customer

> ----------

> then mime my (working) named.namodn, which uses ns1.namodn.com,

> and have

> an ns1.customer.com all set up in named.customer ...

> Would this work?

I have  a LAN Windows/FreeBSD just for developing purposes. I would
like to implement here the name-based virtual hosting feature of
Apache 1.3. I got the httpd.conf (virtual hosting part) like this:

NameVirtualHost 192.168.1.10

<<VirtualHost 192.168.1.10>

DocumentRoot /usr/www/users

ServerName galileo1.local.galileo.or.cr

<</VirtualHost>

<<VirtualHost 192.168.1.10>

DocumentRoot /usr/www/users/galileo

ServerName local.sipromicro.com

<</VirtualHost>

<<VirtualHost 192.168.1.10>

DocumentRoot /usr/www/users/galileo/hp-galileo

ServerName local.galileo.or.cr

<</VirtualHost>

<<VirtualHost 192.168.1.10>

DocumentRoot /usr/www/users/coopnet/coopup

ServerName local.coopnetupdate.org

<</VirtualHost>

<<VirtualHost 192.168.1.10>

DocumentRoot /usr/www/users/coopnet

ServerName local.coopnetaldia.org

<</VirtualHost>

<<VirtualHost 192.168.1.10>

DocumentRoot /usr/www/users/empresa/aenet

ServerName local.associate-expert.net

<</VirtualHost>

<<VirtualHost 192.168.1.10>

DocumentRoot /usr/www/users/empresa

ServerName local.microempresa.org

<</VirtualHost>

<<VirtualHost 192.168.1.10>

DocumentRoot /usr/www/users/htdocs

ServerName local.apache.org

<</VirtualHost>

<<VirtualHost 192.168.1.10>

DocumentRoot /usr/www/users/coninpym

ServerName local.coninpyme.org

<</VirtualHost>

When I call  now f.e. http://local.sipromicro.com from the Netscape
browser installed on the FreeBSD-server, it opens correctly the
corresponding page.

However, when I do the same from a Windows machine in the LAN, it
does not recognize this URL. Only when I call the IP-address
192.168.1.10, it opens the /usr/www/users/ directory.

Reading your message above, I suppose I have to configure the files
in /etc/named.db/ on the FreeBSD server, in order to get the problem
fixed.

Could you give some hints to get this done, taking into account the
httpd-configuration showed above? Do I need to set up a primary or
secondary server? Could you help me with some sample files for
/etc/named.db/?

Many thanks in advance for your appreciated help!

Regards,

-brt