Date:      Wed, 22 May 1996 22:04:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
Cc:        "Chris J. Layne" <coredump@nervosa.com>, "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>, FreeBSD current <freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: editors

On Wed, 22 May 1996, Jake Hamby wrote:

> On Wed, 22 May 1996, Chris J. Layne wrote:

> > > vi.
> >
> > vi.
>
> In Chuck's defense, I would say "vi" too, but if you had a choice of an
> editor IN ADDITION TO vi, which would you pick? (remember it must fit on
> the boot floppy :-) I heard one vote for "joe" which is a decent editor,
> but since pico is more popular, and we ARE doing this for newbie's, I
> narrowly lean towards that.  I would NOT choose ee, as it has no advantage
> over vi to me, nor would I expect, to a new user.
>
> So in other words, if there is room on the boot disk for two editors, one
> of which being vi, what do you vote for as the second editor?

I appreciate the defense, Jake, but it's not on the mark.  I hate pico, I
would never use it, but neither you, I, nor Chris qualify as new users.
I am talking about a new user's editor, period.  Something to replace ee,
NOT to replace any tool that any of us use now.

I am talking about lowering the fear level for approaching FreeBSD.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |