Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2002 20:00:02 -0500
From:      David Syphers <dsyphers@uchicago.edu>
To:        AZNPrideChinese@worldnet.att.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: trouble with kde startup

On Thursday 20 June 2002 06:49 pm, AZN Unix wrote:
> when i start up kde it gives me the error message,
>
> There was an error setting up inter-process communications for KDE: The
> message returned by the system was
> Could not read network connection list /home/AZNPideChinese/.DCOPserver__:0
> please check that the "dcopserver" program is running!
>
> to my understanding dcopserver is used only if i have a network of
computers?
> since i don't have a network of computers, in which file do i edit to get
rid
> of that feature?

KDE uses DCOPserver for all computers.  Which version of Qt do you have
installed?  Sometimes this error can be due to having an old version of Qt.

How are you trying to start KDE?  Are you using startx or kdm (or xdm)?  Are
you starting it as root?

Also, which version of KDE are you using?  KDE 2.2.1 had a problem with this
that is fixed in later versions.

-David

--
Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand...

Astronomy and Astrophysics Center
The University of Chicago