Date:      Tue, 07 May 1996 14:43:28 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com>
To:        "Brett L. Hawn" <blh@nol.net>
Cc:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Home networks (or 10Base-T ways to annoy your spouse)

> On Tue, 7 May 1996, Darryl Okahata wrote:
>
> >      For "home networks", 10BT is easier to wire.  Right now, I'm using
> > 10B2, and I'm thinking about switching to 10BT, as routing coax from
> > room to room is a real pain (e.g., you need two jacks per room, and
> > there's more wire to route).
>
> You'll also find that its more centralized with the 10bT since everything
> goes to a single hub and you don't have coax looping all over the place.

     Thanks for saying what I attempted to say.  ;-)

> >      It is cheap, though.
>
> The cost of reliable cat5 is so low as to be almost no different than the
> cost of good 50/75ohm coax so I just can't see that as an argument anymore
> :)

     It's cheaper because you don't have to buy a hub with 10B2 -- I
wasn't thinking about the cabling costs.  However, snaking coax hither
and yon is enough of a pain that 10BT is looking real good, even with
the added expense (I'd probably get an 8-port hub and not a cheap 5-port
one, just for future expansion ;-).

     However, with 10BT, you do have to plan out how many PC's will go
into a room, as it's a pain to (for example) add a second PC to a room
if you only have one 10BT cable coming out of the wall ....  It's much
simpler with coax.

     -- Darryl Okahata
	Internet: darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.