Date:      Sat, 12 Apr 2008 09:08:13 +1000
From:      Aristedes Maniatis <ari@ish.com.au>
To:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   10GbE speeds

I have a project with 3 workstations all needing high speed access to
about 6Tb of storage. In the past I've installed technology such as
fibre channel connected SAN storage (using Apple's xsan) for up to a
dozen workstations, but with only three workstations for this project
I'm thinking about 10GbE. The workstations will be OSX and the server
FreeBSD 7 with a bunch of disks in a RAID 5 or RAID 10 configuration.

Are 10GbE NICs and drivers significantly mature enough under FreeBSD
to accomplish this? I'd need to achieve about 60MB/s transfer rate
which is theoretically quite doable, as long as the drive array can
keep up with three streams of that speed. I'd use netatalk, samba or
nfs to share files depending on which I can eek the best speeds out of.

Alternatively I could populate the server with 1GbE NICs, one per
workstation and use cross over cable. That way there is absolutely no
contention on the network.

Any thoughts about the viability of this? Is 10GbE in production use
with FreeBSD and does it scale well?

Cheers
Ari Maniatis

ish
http://www.ish.com.au
phone +61 2 9550 5001   fax +61 2 9550 4001