Date:      Thu, 8 Jul 2004 11:36:59 -0400
From:      "Thomas S. Crum - 1WISP, Inc." <tscrum@1wisp.com>
To:        "'FreeBSD IPFW'" <freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Dummynet Queue Weighting

------=_NextPart_000_0027_01C464E0.0938DD30

# SAMPLE CONFIG
ipfw queue 1 ip from A to B
ipfw queue 1 config weight 10 pipe 1
ipfw queue 2 ip from C to D
ipfw queue 2 config weight 5 pipe 1
ipfw queue 3 ip from E to F
ipfw queue 3 config weight 1 pipe 1
ipfw pipe 1 config bw 1000Kbit/s

Question?

When setting up queues as I have done above with different weights they =
(the
queues) will share the assigned pipe proportionate to their weight.

For example if you had traffic on all three queues, the A&B(1), C&D(2), =
and
E&F(3); they would get 10/16, 5/16, and 1/16 of the pipe, respectively.

But, what if A&B(1) had no traffic? It is my understanding that queue 2 =
and
3 would still only get 5/16 and 1/16 of the pipe regardless. In this
example, 3/8 or 375Kb/s total. Or would 2 and 3 share the whole pipe if
queue 1 is inactive, which would make my questions moot?

What I am trying to accomplish here is to give a greater amount of =
bandwidth
between 2 ip's when they are active.  But they are hardly ever active =
and
therefore I want the rest of the network to use the whole pipe until =
they
become active.

Any comments and particularly suggestions are appreciated. If I'm =
entirely
wrong with my presumptions mention that too. :)

Best,
=20
Thomas S. Crum
Senior Technical Associate
tscrum@aaawebsolution.com
Toll-free: (800) 834-0626
=20
AAA Web Solution, Inc.
11924 W Forest Hill Boulevard
Building 22 - Mailstop 200
Wellington, FL 33414 USA
=20
Providing full-service website design, maintenance, hosting, and =
marketing.
No task is too small or enterprise too large for us to help you!
=20
---

------=_NextPart_000_0027_01C464E0.0938DD30--