Date:      Sat, 08 Dec 2001 17:04:53 -0500
From:      "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Peter Leftwich" <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Subject:   Re: http://www.freebsd.org/releases/index.html

On Sat, 8 Dec 2001 13:37:57 -0800, Peter Leftwich wrote:

>RE: http://www.freebsd.org/releases/index.html
>
>Hello, could someone help me pleeeeeease?  Two (2) inches from my keyboard sits (and has sat for several months) FreeBSD 4.3 on CDROMS that I bought and which arrived June 6th, 2001.
>
>My computer is a home built Athlon 600, 512mb RAM, and here's the kicker: I have a Maxtor 40gb HD (94098U8) with just ONE partition (38.1gb) running Windows 98 OEM (4.10.1998).
>
>Can someone inform me of the best option to defrag this drive, scandisk-thorough it, and install FreeBSD?
>
>Also, once installed, is there a way to upgrade to 4.4 (Sept 2001) via FTP or some sort of net-upgrade software?
>
>Thanks, help, I'll pay (PayPal) you even, :-)

first you have to scandisk and defrag you hd in windows.  then you must
use a partition shrinking utility such as Partition Magic, or FIPS (it
should be on one of the FreeBSD cds you have).  then to install it,
make sure you are able to boot from CDROM (you'll probably have to
change a setting in the BIOS), then boot from the master cd.

there are two easy ways-

obtain a 4.4-RELEASE cd, boot it and use the upgrade option in the
menu, or

use cvsup to update the source code, and recompile the entire operating
system.  (not as a monumentous task as it sounds, actually pretty easy)

but, first goto http://www.freebsd.org/ and read up on everything b4
you do anything

---
doug reynolds | the maverick | mav@wastegate.net

PGP Public Key Fingerprint: 6E7B 9993 B503 6D45  E33A 2019 26E5 C1DB