Date:      Fri, 22 Feb 2002 19:06:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Mr. Brigham Young" <secretsaregood@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   trying to make linux matlab work on 4.4 release

Hi,

Quick run down. I have matlab working after a fashion but cannot get the unix command to
work because it is looking for a pty called /dev/ptmx it refers to this as a master pty.

Before I delve deeper into this I want to ask  if anyone else has hacked this yet. BTW I
have a valid, legal, linux license. I've been told they would refer the matter to their
development staff to "see what it would take" but the GUI is written in Java. This was
also before I got it working after a fashion.

In reading the shell scripts that handled the install I realize that handing the install
script the option -glnx86 would cause it to run without trying to figure out which
machine it was on. It then installed no questions asked, the entire system.

so in a nutshell to install, mount the cdrom, su to root, then:

cd /cdrom/glnx86 && sh install -glnx86

I had it install to usr/local/matlab. I tried making a link to /usr/X11R6/bin but it
looks in the directory where it starts for other parts of the system. The best way to run
it is just type tne full path on the command line. i.e.

/usr/local/matlab/bin/matlab -glnx86 &

if you add the option -nodisplay it will actually just run the matlab interpreter right
on the xterm. (or tty console, obviously leave off the ampersand in this case)

you can do a lot with jsut this but without access to the unix() command and ! (run
system commands) it is hard to work on anything more than a trivial script.

anyway, thanks ;)

--Brigham Young

=====
--> Brigham Young