Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 1997 15:42:13 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        lahrg@atlanta.ds.adp.com (Gary Lahr)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Route

> How do I add my default gateway to the route table?
>
> I looked at the man page and I'm not seeing it clearly (If you know what I
> mean, my heads a little foggy).

Assuming that you're on a network with a router to "the rest of the
world" somewhere, and you want this route to happen every time you
boot, edit /etc/sysconfig and change the following:

  # Set to the host you'd like set as your default router, or NO for none.
  # This is the same as adding a ``default'' entry to static_routes.
  defaultrouter="myrouter"

"myrouter" should, of course, be the hostname or IP address of your
router.  If you use DNS exclusively for hostnames, you'd probably
better use the address.

Please note that on 2.2.2 and above, this file is called (I believe)
/etc/rc.conf.