Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 2013 19:38:05 -0700
From:      hiren panchasara <hiren.panchasara@gmail.com>
To:        Sean Bruno <seanwbruno@gmail.com>
Cc:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>, freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: thinkpad keys T520

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 4:22 PM, Sean Bruno <seanwbruno@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-03-12 at 15:56 -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 2:57 PM, Sean Bruno <seanbru@yahoo-inc.com>
>> wrote:
>>         the Fn key seems to send the system the same key command as
>>         the power
>>         button *should* send.  This leads to many problems on this
>>         machine.
>>
>>         How can I start tracing code the key strokes for keys that are
>>         not the
>>         normal keyboard keys?  e.g. the Fn key or vol up/down and the
>>         power
>>         button?
>>
>>         If I load acpi_ibm(4), it doesn't seem to ever get used so I
>>         am confused
>>         as to where to start.

As Sean pointed out, we are on this mysterious journey to find out
what happens when buttons are pressed.
I am playing with my T420 to understand how physical button press
event is sent down to acpi_ibm via devd.
I've started putting "device_printf" inside acpi_ibm to see if
individual functions are getting called or not.
I was not seeing anything in dmesg until I set following:

sysctl dev.acpi_ibm.0.events=1

>From the manpage, it seems, this tunable enables ACPI events and set
the eventmask to availmask.

where eventmask is how things are laid out specific to your hardware
and availmask is what all you want to intercept by acpi_ibm.

Is this a correct assumption or I am completely off the track here?

Also, I am trying to find out pin layout for T420 and T520 as
acpi_ibm(4) lists for T41p. If someone can help me find it, that will
be awesome.

Thanks in advance,
Hiren