Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2007 18:44:27 -0500
From:      Tom McLaughlin <tmclaugh@FreeBSD.org>
To:        youshi10@u.washington.edu
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Porting a Linux application to FreeBSD

--=-pT5ka1yKILbVvb0U5Fa5

On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 14:35 -0800, youshi10@u.washington.edu wrote:
> Hello,
> I was referred here by some people in the hackers@ list because I
> asked a porting related question and I should have asked it on this
> list.
>      I was wondering steps people had used in the past for porting
> linux applications, in particular applications that need libpng (i.e.
> the differences between FreeBSD and Linux's libpng, if there are any).
> I ran configure with no arguments and with the
> --with-png=3D/usr/local/lib argument, but both sets of arguments fail
> saying that they require png_read_png (just a C generated autoconf
> test). The odd thing that I discovered too when I manually tried to
> compile the autoconf generated C file is that it segfaulted when I
> tried to execute the program (not sure if this behavior's intended or
> not).

Linux does not have it's own libpng and neither do we.  Most Linux
distros and us use libpng from libpng.org.  I took a quick look at the
current libpng in the ports tree and it appears to have png_read_png().
With out seeing a Makefile for the ports system and some error output it
is hard to comment as to the specific reason stuff is failing for you.

>      Also, the application that I'm porting uses video4linux, and I
> was wondering if there were any sorts of tips regarding porting this
> API.

You may want to send a message to Florent Thoumie (flz@) who maintains
the multimedia/v4l_compat port.

tom

> The application that I'm trying to port is tvtime
> (<http://tvtime.sourceforge.net/>).
> TIA!
> -Garrett

--=-pT5ka1yKILbVvb0U5Fa5