Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2002 07:54:32 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net>
Cc:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>, FreeBSD Laptoppers <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: hard drive

> Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 07:28:19 +0200
> From: Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 12:26:25PM -0700, Randy Bush wrote:
> > for me, the bottleneck on laptops is the disk throughput.  the hard
> > drives themselves are slow, and the bandwidth to them sucks.  for
> > big makes etc., a 10GHz cpu would not improve throughput as much as
> > doubling the disk goodput.
> >
> > is anybody making laptoys with real disk i/o subsystems?
>
> Imho the gap between desktop and laptop is getting smaller. There are
> quite some laptops shipping with UDMA100 now.
>
> "dd if=/dev/ad0 of=/dev/null bs=4096" gives me 22 MB/s. I don't have a
> recent desktop so I don't know how this compares to recent desktop
> performance but I don't think it is bad.
>
> This combined with a 1800Mhz PIV and 256MB DDR memory makes it do
> buildworlds in 45 minutes.

My IBM T30 has a 1800 MHZ P4 and UDMA100. I have 512 Mb DDR RAM and
buildworld takes 33 minutes for Stable. It also has a higher
resolution display than my desktop LCD panels.

I'd say the gap may be narrowing, but a 4 processor Xeon with SCSI
drives will still blow my laptop away. But it is much faster than my
normal desktop, a 1000 MHZ PIII with 512 Mb RAM and UDMA133 disk
controller. The laptop cost more than the desktop, as well.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)