Date:      Fri, 23 Dec 1994 13:41:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Morgan Davis <mdavis@io.cts.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   A lighter sup -v?

In using sup, I found that -v is the only way for it to report which
files have been received.  However, in addition to that, it wants to
tell you all the files that have been "updated" as well.  I assume
that "updated" simply means that "Hey, we checked your file and the
host's file and you don't need to update it."

Since "updated" entries account for a huge majority of -v output, it
would be desirable to have a flag that tells you only the files that
were replaced or deleted (or otherwise munged).  This would make it
easier to peruse e-mailed reports to make better decisions about
rebuilding the system after an update.

As it is now, I can append all the e-mail into a file, then grep out all
entries except those with "updated" in them.  However, this seems like
an easy enhancement to have the sup program do this for you.  Taking a
2000 line e-mail message on updated 'gnu' down to a dozen or two
significant lines would be nice.