Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 1996 18:11:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Irvine Short <ishort@pcm.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FTP install from CD does not work

On Tue, 26 Mar 1996, Irvine Short wrote:

> However, when I try and do an ftp install from another new machine it
> successfully logs in and downloads the floppies/root.flp file but
> then looks for bin/* files whuch are not there.

[...]>
> On the cd they are under dists/bin/* and etc.
>
> So, the directory structure on ftp.freebsd.org and that on the CD
> differ.

They do.

> How do I then FTP install off the CD like it says in the booklet that
> comes with the cd?

If you're mounting on an already-setup unix box, try using the "lndir"
command to make an image in your ftp server.  Then symlink /dists/bin to
/bin and whatnot.  Give your filesystem a workout but you'll get a
functioning ftp site.

 ** CD BURNERS:  Please build the next CD so that it is directly
ftp-moutable so we can get the CD, mount it on a machine with a CD, and
install to a machine without a CDROM.  **