Date:      Thu, 02 Dec 2004 02:59:57 +0000
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
To:        perky@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        chuckr@chuckr.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Port: python-2.4.a3

Excuse me please if this mail is formatted oddly, you are my first
experiment with using *several* new things, mozilla as mail agent, mail
from my imap machine. all on my new FreeBSD box.  I hope this works.

Anyhow, down to cases.  I'm doing a freebie database for a buddy who
runs (owns) a video rental store.  I'm using python, and gtk+ for the
widgets, and that much is flawless, it's beautiful, and so I'm off
trying to get a fairly simple database done in python, using
FreeBSD-current (my amd64 box, dual processsor, lots of disk, 1G of ram).

Everytime I try doing something with bsddb, I get this error:

 >>> import bsddb
 >>> db = bsddb.btopen("myfile","c")
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/bsddb/__init__.py", line 303, in btopen
    e = _openDBEnv()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/bsddb/__init__.py", line 339, in _openDBEnv
    e.open('.', db.DB_PRIVATE | db.DB_CREATE | db.DB_THREAD |
db.DB_INIT_LOCK | db.DB_INIT_MPOOL)
bsddb._db.DBInvalidArgError: (22, 'Invalid argument -- architecture
lacks fast mutexes: applications cannot be threaded')

I think my option here is to toss out all of the FreeBSD ported python,
and try instead, using one i build myself, but I would vastly rather see
if I can help you, and get it working that way.  My problem is, well,
several problems:

1) I need this really quickly, I need my database wokring inside 48
hours at the latest
2) I'm just out of the hospital, very quick to tire, and I take a lot of
time out in the next 48 hours for doctors visits (stiches coming out,
like that).  I have some time to help you, but not too much.

I remember, *somewhere*, in building python there was an option about
fast mutexes, but I can't remember where,  Can you?

Gee, I sure hope you read this, that mozilla doesn't just decide to toss
it away on me.