Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 1995 12:30:59 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        richard@harlequin.co.uk (Richard Brooksby)
Cc:        freebsd-install@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: One-line status windows

> When the installation program is reporting progress, such as newfs
> commands, it prints each one in its own dialog box, erasing the previous
> one, often too fast for the eye to follow.

Yeah, this is due to inherent limitations in what's currently offered
by the `libdialog' library (/usr/src/gnu/lib/libdialog).  You can't
put the popup dialogs at arbitrary x/y locations, etc.  The problems
have been known about for a long time, but no one seems to have the
time to do anything about it. :-(

A more generalized GUI paradigm has also been talked about here from
time to time, but again - not a lot of code written.  Everyone
interested in fancy install enabling tools like this also seems to be
interested in many other things as well, and there are only so many
hours in the day! :)

I would welcome an attempt to breath life into the installation
mechanism framework from the "display library" perspective.  We could
also use more enabling technology that doesn't require X.

					Jordan