Date:      Sun, 20 Mar 2005 11:17:10 -0500
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Adam <suck@my-balls.com>
Cc:        Theo de Raadt <deraadt@cvs.openbsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Adaptec AAC raid support

On Mar 20, 2005, at 10:00 AM, Adam wrote:
>> Have you read the NDA between Adaptec and Intel?
>> If not, how do you know just what it does or does not cover?
>>
>> Once again, you're making claims of fact about a document that you've
>> probably never seen.
>> I think you are making wild assertions and have not even a shred of
>> evidence to justify them.
>
> Speaking of wild assertions with no evidence, why exactly do you keep
> making up rediculous excuses for a company that hates you?

Good example!  You've come up with another wild assertion.  Adaptec
doesn't hate me.  Why would that company know me personally, much less
have a strong negative opinion?

> Why do you think that adaptec is special and had to sign NDAs with
> intel and dell(?!)
> to make the same products with the same chips that other vendors
> clearly
> didn't have to sign NDAs to make?

I don't think Adaptec is special.  It's normal for companies to enter
into a NDA agreement with their partners, and I'd bet a dollar to a
donut that LSI, Promise, 3ware, and other vendors of RAID hardware also
have NDA agreements which would prevent those companies from making
every single internal document available to the public.

> There is absolutely no reason that adaptec cannot release
> documentation for their
> hardware.  Nobody even needs to know how the intel chip works, just how
> to speak to the adaptec firmware.

Let's pretend you're right, just for the sake of argument.
Let's say that Adaptec could release all of their docs.

You've given them an ultimatum, and they've said no.  I've dealt with a
few people who have told me "do it my way, or else".  I've chosen the
"or else" part without any regret whatsoever: I make my own decisions,
nobody else, and the people who have tried to control my decisions have
gotten exactly nothing from me as a result.  Nor will they, ever.

> Adaptec doesn't want you to buy their hardware,

Do you claim to speak for Adaptec?  Your words are dangerously
ill-chosen if you do not work for Adaptec, because you are misleading
people about the company and about their products.

Besides, I'm quite sure you're wrong: Adaptec wants me and other
potential customers to buy their products, just as any other hardware
vendor would.

> and your reaction is to try to justify that stupidity for them,
> since they can't do it?  If you like being shit on that's up to you,
> but
> don't tell us that we should like it too, or try to justify why adaptec
> thinks its customers are toilets.

You remind me of someone I knew once that went off the deep end into
paranoid delusions.  I once tried to explain to that person that, no,
nobody was spying on me, or on him either.  I think someone spying on
me would be bored, quite frankly.

Children learn to accept "no" in the process of growing up.  They learn
to deal with the world not giving them anything and everything the
child might demand, the moment it is demanded.

To use your crude metaphor, I tolerate-- not admire-- potty talk from a
child that hasn't been toilet-trained, but it's past time for you and
Theo to grow up and start acting like adults, rather than like
ill-bred, spoiled children throwing temper tantrums when told "no".

--
-Chuck