Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 2004 05:46:57 -0600
From:      "Shawn K. Quinn" <skquinn@xevious.kicks-ass.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fix make release for 4-STABLE

On Monday 2004 January 19 04:58, Makoto Matsushita wrote:
> Yes, floppies are so cheap to buy, but sometimes not handy you know.
> I believe that some of my friends said to me that "hey, I'm so tired
> to write THREE floppy images, it's so slow!"
>
> It would be technically easy to introduce splitfs for kernel/mfsroot
> (it is already there), but it also introduce an important design
> change. We should have enough time to consider that we decide the 3rd
> floppy image treats a mandatory one.

I suspect we will not have to deal with floppies for too much longer.
It's pretty obvious that within a couple more years they will be
completely replaced by CD-R media or similar things. So, having to use
three (or four or five) floppy images is merely a sign that floppy
disks are becoming less useful, and should not be viewed as a solution
with any permanence. Floppies will certainly be very close to obsolete
by 6.0-RELEASE, if not by the time of 5.4-RELEASE or thereabouts.

(And, BTW, these days floppies are really not that cheap compared to
even CD-RW media, if you evaluate them on a "per megabyte" basis.)

--
Shawn K. Quinn