Date:      Sat, 10 Nov 2001 11:17:52 -0500
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, "Michael Lucas" <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Life working at an ISP (was: RE: Lockdown of FreeBSD machine directly on Net)

> >> The plus side to that environment is, there's nothing like trying to
> >> figure out how to make something work with inadequate equipment,
> >
> >	Example (and yes, these are true stories) - Your primary
> >server, the Dual
> >Celeron 500 MHz has begun to exhibit overheating problems.  You find out
> >that this comes from a combination of being overclocked (d0h!) by the
> >previous administrator, and the fact that the fans on the
> heatsinks are not
> >turning to keep the extremely dinky heatsink cool.  You clock the machine
> >down to where it's supposed to be, and go ask management for funding to
> >purchase proper heat reduction solution hardware.  Management
> tells you to
> >go get bent, that they're having cashflow issues.  My solution,
> bring in a
> >power drill, drill a number of holes in the bottom of the case,
> and park the
> >machine over an A/C vent, thus preventing it from overheating again.
>
> :-)  That way instead of spending a miserable 5 cents an hour on
> the increased
> electric bill that new fans would consume, you get to spend 5 _dollars_ an
> hour running the A/C full blast!!

	Well, the problem is, they didn't wanna spend the less than $10 per
processor for the coolers that I wanted to slap on there.  I mean, if a
company is having cashflow problems to the point where they can't afford to
write a check for $20, it's a good sign that it's time to leave, PERIOD.

> I've seen some pretty funny cooling systems before.  That story reminds me
> of the time I walked into a customer server room and saw one of those
> floor A/C units sitting in a corner.  You know, the ones that
> have 2 big tubes
> one that blows cold air, and the other is supposed to be run
> somewhere else
> that it dumps the heat it's pulling out of the room that it's blowing cold
> air into.  Only problem with this one is both tubes were
> blowing into the same room.  I asked the network admin who said
> they had to
> get the cooler because their stuff was overheating.  I then pointed out
> that the A/C unit was putting just as much heat back into the room as it
> was sucking out, and got a comment that was something along the lines of
> "are you stupid or what, can't you feel the cold air blowing out of it?"

	Ahh yes... the server admins with degrees in thermodynamics... *snickers*

	As far as my example goes, my "office" had two A/C ducts and a fan.  For a
small 6x12 room loaded with hardware (6 servers, a Cisco 2600 series, pair
of network hubs, 3Com/USR Total Control rack and the boxes to feed it with),
it got majorly hot in there.  Got even worse when I'd close the door (and
tie it shut with a network cable, since there was no knob on the door, much
less a lock) so I could get stuff done.

--- Andy