Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 18:53:07 -0700
From:      "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        ja_botha@hotmail.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: **Strange message in dmesg**

IANAKH (kernel hacker), but I believe that has to do with detection of
really big drives (>137GB) a la Maxtor's "Big drive" initiative. I'd check
to make sure your drive is running in the DMA mode that you want, make sure
you have an 80 conductor IDE cable, and if all is well I would venture to
guess that FreeBSD is sending a query to the drive asking if it uses the
48-bit addressing scheme that Maxtor invented, and the drive has no clue WTF
the IDE driver is talking about so doesn't respond, then the ATA driver
resets the bus to be safe (after a non-response to a query). This is all
speculation, mind you. If everything works, probably nothing to be worried
about.